Quotes

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope and confidence."
~Helen Keller

4.5.12

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Spring is Here




It seems to me that most cultures have a saying around this time of year that expresses the rain. (In Spanish, "Por abril, aguas mil.") Since April is well-know for rain, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the past couple of weeks have had nothing but "showers" and "heavy rains" and "strong winds" in the forecast. Having taken in many hits from Mother Nature over the weeks, I decided to take the opportunity to explore this past weekend what is typically southern "sunny" Spain and to also visit Madrid for a day.

I set off last weekend first for Merida to see the old roman ruins. The ruins had been weathered down by both wind and of course rain. So as an after thought, it should not have surprised me further yet that the rain would follow me to the south for that weekend as well. However, southern rains versus northern rains, I have noticed to be quite different. In the north, the rain never ceases to stop not for a second. And if it does, you still need to be on your toes and be ready to grab your umbrella when the clouds open up again. Because the clouds always do. In the south, though, I arrived to rainy weather and assumed the whole day would be ruined. But it wasn't. It would rain, stop, and the sun would come out to warm everything up. I would have a good hour and two in between rain showers in order to see the sights and stretch my legs. In those moments of sun in between showers, I had my first taste of spring. Wet grass, dripping leaves, warm earth, and my personal favorite, the fragrant flowers. Whether I was exploring the tops of the roman fortresses in Merida or strolling in the Parque del Retiro of Madrid, I never wanted to stop breathing in everything around me. Grass. Leaves. Earth. But most especially the flowers.
 
Although the season gives me allergies and although the season tempts me with the end of the school year, spring has always been and always will be my favorite season.

No comments:

Post a Comment