Quotes

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope and confidence."
~Helen Keller

22.4.12

Chapter Twenty-Six: Right in the Middle

My two fellow Americans and I arrived ahead of time yesterday afternoon to find an actual seat at the bar. About an hour later, seats were taken, people were crammed into every corner possible, and you could barely hear the person next to you as plasma t.v.s were displayed on every wall for one of the most important games of the season.

Now I do not know much about soccer, or fĂștbol in this case. I do know, however, that it makes up a part of life and creates the way of people here. Those who once were friends, become enemies and those who were once enemies become friends in a split second. In that split second depending on if you are for Barcelona or Real Madrid, your entire outlook on friendship can change.

As it was then, the bar was divided. One half would cheer as "Goooooooooooool!" was yelled by the announcer as the other half would sulk. As would the opposite do when the other team would score a goal. And like I said before, I do not know much about fĂștbol so I figured my position in the bar was quite a diplomatic decision: right in the middle. So right in the middle of everything, I got a taste of a little bit of everything. 

From young to old. I saw young kids decked-out in their team's apparel, head to toe. I saw grown men hug each other and others who nearly came to tears when the final goal was scored.

From fashionistas to fans. I saw women more preoccupied in their looks than actually looking to see what was happening in the game. I saw others glued to t.v.s and hardly taking notice to the drink in their hands. 

From Spanish to foreign. I saw Spaniards and heard their lisp and recognized their dramatic hand gestures. I saw also the African street vendor who every-so-often comes in between crowds to sell his items. I saw and met a Portuguese and pinned him as foreign based on his accent. I also saw myself and my two fellow Americans sitting side-by-side. And I realized that right in the middle of everything, we were also a part of everything there as well, no matter what our nationality was.

No comments:

Post a Comment