Quotes

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope and confidence."
~Helen Keller

14.11.11

Chapter Seven: Third time's not the charm

Try, try again, and you will reach your goal. Otherwise known as third time's the charm. That's how the old saying goes anyways. Not so much in my case. One extremely new wonder in my life that I have had to practice while being here is cooking. Not just cooking what I am used to back home but attempting at creating a dish that could pass as a partial-looking Spanish dish. This way, when I bring my food to work to eat during our (yes, that's right,) two-hour break at mid-day, I do not have to look like the pathetic American who does not know how to even crack an egg.

So while being here, I have tried to eat lentils. Lentils are not very exciting, to say the least. But they are filling, nutritious, and pass as a Spanish dish. So on my list of requirements of food: check, check and check. Sounds pretty darn good from where I am standing. Not to mention I was told they were easy to make. Hmmm....

Attempt #1: Lentils come out dry, sticky, and with little flavor. I try to add water afterwards. Complete moron on my part. Do I eat them though? Yes, I am a poor recent college graduate after all.

Attempt #2: I add beef stock to the lentils to add more flavor. Success number one. However, on my way to work, the lid knocks over and spills most of the juices, including on my pants. Failure number two.

Attempt #3: I add beef stock like before. I wait and wait until it boils and add the lentils. As this was just last night, I have everything very fresh in my memory. You see, I need to explain myself here. Just so you know I have never EVER done this before in my life. But when a person is tired and stressed and frustrated (especially with student loan offices), one tends to forget things. Or in my case, forget lentils on the stove. So there I was, sitting in the living room watching television before going to bed when I smelled a crusty, burning smell from the kitchen. I won't add my thoughts at this point as I would prefer to keep this blog rated G. But I am sure you can easily use your imagination. So yes, I burned my lentils last night. If it were steak, it would have been VERY well done.

Near midnight, I could not just leave the lentils there to smoke up the entire apartment and probably that of the neighbors. First thought was to leave them on the window sill outside to cool. All fine and well until I lift up the pot and see that the pot burned a nice little spot on the window frame as well. Point taken. Always lay down a towel first. Then I decided to take them outside in a plastic bag. Wrong again. Hot lentils burn through plastic in case you did not know. But either way, they are safely stored outside, out of sight, out of mind.

So with these mistakes, one good thing I suppose you could say was I learned out to clean up after myself. If this ever happens to you and I wish that it never does, but hypothetically, it it were to happen, always use vinager to clean up . Soap? No. Not soap. Vinager. It works magic, son. I swear. Try it and you will believe me then.

You are probably wondering, what's the big deal? If the pot is not ruined, what is there to complain about? Well, you see this weekend I have a friend coming to visit and we planned to have a Thanksgiving dinner. You heard me. Have I ever cooked a turkey before? Does watching count? Have I ever made a pie? Does rolling the crust out count? Basically, no. I have never cooked a dinner like this before.

Nervous, you say? Ha! Yes, actually I am. So any tips of the trade you might have for Thanksgiving, that would be wonderful. If not, a prayer will do too.

1 comment:

  1. I have no tips because I have no skills-- but I am wishing you lots of luck!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete