Quotes

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope and confidence."
~Helen Keller

4.11.11

Chapter Five: Bucket list

Time is precious. You never know how much time you will have. One day you could be in small town America and the next you could be across the ocean living in cities only shown to you before in history textbooks. The first time I was in Spain, I honestly did not even imagine being able to come back to Europe. This second chance has made me think. Think about what I truly want to do this second time around. Thus, I have begun to make a bucket list. A list of things that I normally do not do but have always dreamed of doing. So instead of dreaming still, I have set my mind to fulfilling these things. So here it goes. My list is varied and some things will require courage on my part. But how often does life hand you second chances? Yeah. That's what I thought.

#1. Join a gym (not so scary yet, right?)
#2. Take Latin dancing classes
#3. Ski in the Alps
#4. Try every type of sea food there is possible (Eh? Say what?)
#5. Learn to cook traditional Spanish dishes (that's right. no more mac n' cheese)
#6. Walk the Camino de Santiago or Way of Saint James (30 some kilometers each day for a week?)
#7. Attempt at renting a car and drive up and down the northern coast (Careful Spanish drivers. An American is coming onto the road soon.)
#8. Go cliff jumping (Heights? What is my problem?)
#9. Watch a corrida de toros or bull fight
#10. Spend a full week in a country not knowing the language and try to get around.

There are probably more things to be added to the list. So if you think of something that you would do, tell me. Maybe I'll add it to the list. Maybe I won't. But please add any suggestions that you think are needed while I am here. Like I said before, it is a miracle to have this experience a second time and heaven only knows if I will get a third chance.

3 comments:

  1. Stay out Latin dancing until 6 or 7 in the morning. I'm not usually so much of a party person, but this was something I found so cultural to Spain that it was worth doing once :)

    Since you're there during Holy Week, I would also make it a goal to attend an Easter Vigil in a cathedral. I went to a very traditional Latin Mass, didn't understand a WORD of the service, but still found it to be one of the most amazing cultural and spiritual experiences.

    Eat authentic gelato?

    I'm so proud of you and look forward to hearing about your continued adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely support this list and wish that I could join you on the Camino de Santiago! I have wanted to do it for years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can help you out on the foreign country and not speaking the language part... haha. Really, can't wait to have you in France! Also, something NOT to add to the list: skunk funk, nough said.

    ReplyDelete