Quotes

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope and confidence."
~Helen Keller

8.12.11

Chapter Ten: Castañas

This autumn I am sure some of you have been busy harvesting apples from the trees before winter settles in. Here in Spain we have been collecting castañas whenever we see them on the ground. And at night when the temperatures drop and sea mist seeps in to make you cold to the bone, we ask street vendors for a cup full of them to warm us up as we stroll around.

Castañas have become a tradition in the north and the people have a celebration for them called magosta. So it should not surprise you when giving a lesson yesterday, a lady came in to tell the class that we were going outside to eat castañas.

Since I had never tried them, I did not understand what all the fuss was about to go outside to eat them. But I followed suit with the other teacher and helped her bundle the three-year-olds into their coats (Yes, I am also in an early childhood setting to teach English.)

Once outside, the children lined up and one by one received a newspaper wrapping of hot castañas to try. The only problem is these children are only three. And their poor little fingers were not able to unwrap the shells. So while my castañas cooled on the ground, I went around and helped open the shells for the little ones. The looks on the kids’ faces were precious. You could tell who did and did not like them.

But how were they, you may ask? For me, one word is only necessary. Delicious. And this is coming from a girl who has had a head cold all week and has not had an appetite for much of anything. But castañas hit the spot that day.

However, it was not only the castañas that made the day so precious but the whole environment. After eating, the three classes joined hands to form a huge circle in the middle of the playground and we danced. And we clapped. And we laughed. And while we spun around in the circle, I could not help but tilt by head back just a little and smile as I saw colors of bright scarves that the women were wearing around their heads and necks. Looking back at the circle, I smiled even bigger as I saw the three-year-olds grinning ear from ear.

A spontaneous moment like that typically has no pictures to show for it. So unfortunately I cannot share with you the memory I had that day on camera. But I hope you understand the innocence I felt that day. Dancing to traditional music with the little ones made life seem so simple. Was it the music, the dancing, the children? What was it that made me feel so? I have to say that it was the castañas. I have come to decide that they have a power of their own.

Therefore, this holiday season when you are in the mall trying to buy last minute presents and listening to Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, don’t forget to slow down a bit and try some chestnuts for a change. I think you’ll be surprised at what they can offer in a busy time of year like this…

No comments:

Post a Comment